It’s the first Sunday of the month! Where did March go? Blood pressure checkups today after worship.
Spring is here, how is it going with those New Year Resolutions to get more exercise?
Here is some information to encourage you to stay active! Courtesy of L. Marin RN, Centra’s Stroobants Cardiac Center
• About 80% of American adults are not getting recommended amount of exercise.
• Physical inactivity or sedentary lifestyle is one of the main causes of cardiovascular diseases.
• Less exercise means problems such as high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol.
• What is physical inactivity?
— sitting around the house
— numerous hours in front of TV
— lying in bed the majority of the day
— not participating in aerobic or anaerobic activities
• Benefits of physical activities:
— prevents hypertension
— prevents elevated cholesterol
— reduce obesity
— builds stronger bones
— reduces anxiety and stress
— improves self-esteem
• Recommended physical activities for adults:
— at least 30 mins of moderate-intensity aerobic activity 5 days per wk for a total of 150 mins
— or at least 25 mins of vigorous aerobic activity 3 days per wk for a total of 75 mins
— or combination of moderate and vigorous intensity aerobic activity 2 or more days a week.
• Four different exercises types:
— aerobic (endurance) exercise
— strength exercise
— flexibility (range of motion)
— balance exercises
• Aerobic . Strength exercises
— swimming laps — lifting weights
— yard work — resistance equipment
— biking — resistance bands
— playing tennis
• Flexibility . Balance exercises
— yoga — heal to toe walking
— stretching — one leg balance
— pilates — tai chi
— dance classes
• Spring has Sprung
• Time to shake up the routine
• Let’s kick those old habits and get moving!!
Submitted for your good health, Cynthia Tabaian RN BSN, FCN